Finals. Should they be before winter break?

Studying for finals of the first semester of the 2016-2017 school year

Finals. That dreaded word that every student is scared to hear because they basically determine your grade that will go on your transcript. R.U.S.D decided to give their students finals after winter break which was a big controversy around the city. Winter break is something that signifies the end of the year and students want to have fun and relax with their families and friends as well as the break signifying something that students can relax after a stressful semester.

Many other districts around the country have their finals before the break and many see it as a sign that they don’t have to worry about something during a two week period that is meant to be relaxing and filled with festivity. I think that break is a break from school, it means to me that I am able to spend time with my family and friends and studying for a big test is not considered a  break at all. We have school weeks for a reason and I think that if finals were held before the break, students would be more likely to study for them because they are already in a school mindset. Some students during winter break go away from Riverside, that means they will more than likely they will not bring their textbooks, notes, flashcards, etc.

Finals should also be held before the holidays because students are caught up in the fun of being on winter break and often don’t get around to studying for finals, which can result in a bad grade when they are held after the break. Finals is what determines our grades that will be permanently put in our transcripts, this is what colleges will see and that could be the deal breaker from getting denied from our dream schools. We as students should not have a relaxing two week break and then come back with the heavy burden of finals and grades, a break should be something we look forward to after a long or stressful semester and it is a system that needs to be changed for the benefit of our sanity as well as well-being because the stress it brings is tremendous.